Saturday, April 23, 2011

April 12, 2011

Well, here I am on a plane heading back "home." If they say home is where your heart is, well, then I'm not heading back home. I'm heading back to the place where my stuff is.
As I look out the plane's window and see above the clouds, I can't help but think that my grandmother and I met in the middle. She was going up and I was going down.
April 5th is a day I will never forget. Not only because it was my due date for my third little blessing in 2010 but because this is the day, in 2011, that the Lord took my grandmother.
It all happend so fast I think I'm still in shock a week later.
I received a phone call from my Aunt around 8am April 5th. I was lying in bed with my husband and children. My phone was still on silent mode so I didn't hear it ring.
I've decided that when someone calls you early in the morning or late in the evening, the news is never good.
I checked my voicemail and immediately heard tears in my Aunt's voice...."Janelle, it's me. Um, grandma is in the hospital---" I no longer needed to hear the rest of the message. I hung up and called her immediately. I remember my Uncle answered and then handed the phone off to my grandfather. The only thing I remember him saying is that she's not waking up and wasn't expected to make it through the day. I fell to the ground and started sobbing. What?!?! I had just talked to her a few days before when I called to get her address so I could send pictures of the boys. I was in a hurry to get off the phone with her and told her I'd call her back. I never did. She'd always say, "Kiss the boys for me," right before we hung up the phone.
Damn it, Janelle.....
I was on my plane, arriving in Denver when I decided to take a picture of the clouds from my airplane window. The time I took the picture was 5:35 pm, April 5th. She died at 5:35 pm, April 5th.
I arrived at the hospital shortly after and she just looked like she was sleeping. So beautiful and peaceful. I sat by her bed, holding her arm and cried next to my grandfather. I was waiting for her to open her eyes and look at me and tell me everything was going to be ok.
For those of you who wonder what kind of woman my grandmother was, I can sum it up in one sentence. When I was three, my parents abandoned me, so she took me in her home and raised me as her own child. She was already 50 years old, raising her granddaughter while her youngest of five was 13 years old. Talk about an unselfish person.
My heart aches for her so badly that it's taking my breath away.
If you've been meaning to call someone, do it. If you've been meaning to say I love you to someone, say it. Don't ever go to bed mad at someone because you just never know of you'll see them again.

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment